Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Roller coaster ride

I was at the hospital visiting Reyes yesterday with my mum. He was at 1392g and keeps struggling to open his eyes as he seemed so tired. Looking at him progressing well makes me really really happy.

Today when me and hubby was there to see him, we were surprised to see him on a drip and he was having a respiratory ventilator and his EBM feeds was reduced to 4.5 ml/hr. We were told by the attending nurse that he wasn't coping very well with breathing thus they reduced his feeds so that his stomach is less bloated so it doesn't compress the lungs since he is still pretty small in size. The ventilator was there to help him breathe better but being on it is a step backward from his progress.

Now I can fully comprehend what other mummies of preemies meant by a roller coaster ride. Just when I thought things are looking good, it took a backward turn. Hubby reminded me that the social worker ever mentioned that it could be 2-step forward progress one day but 1-step backward the next day.

The only comforting thing is he put on a bit today, standing at 1430g. Perhaps growing bigger will also help him to cope better physically.

Anyhow, I just hope that he can be well enough to be home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment